Sunday, April 19, 2009

Series Thoughts After the First Games

In order of appearance:

Boston Celtics vs. Chicago Bulls
Game 1 Score: Bulls 105, Celtics 103 OT

Impressive win for the Bulls even with KG out for the C's. I don't know if they can keep it together long enough in a 7 game series to pull of the upset, but it remains to be seen exactly how Boston will be affected by the loss of Garnett. I see this being a hard-fought series that, much like the first game, goes down to the wire in 7, with the Celtics moving on to the next round.


Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Detroit Pistons
Game 1 Score: Cavs 102, Pistons 84

Based on the first game, it would be pretty easy to call for a sweep. LeBron just would not accept anything less than domination. I'm not totally sold on the idea that the rest of the series will go this way though. King James is out to prove that he has the killer instinct of MJ, and it was clearly in full-effect on Saturday night, but I'm going to wait and see if that edge sticks around during the doldrums of the 7 game series. Regardless, I'm still picking the Cavs in 5.


San Antonio Spurs vs. Dallas Mavericks
Game 1 Score: Mavs 105, Spurs 97

A bit of a surprise here. I knew that losing WoManu would pretty much kill the Spurs chances of getting to the finals, but I thought they would still be able to handle the Mavs pretty easily. There's still a long way to go in this series and I suspect Timmy D. and Co. wont be too happy with their performance in Game 1. I think this is another series that will go down to the wire and I think the Spurs professionalism and business-like attitudes will prevail in 7.


Portland Trailblazers vs. Houston Rockets
Game 1 Score: Rockets 108, Blazers 81

I always hear about how important previous post-season experience is once the playoffs come around, but I never thought it would make that much of a difference. This game changed my opinion on how the series will turn out far more than any of the other series' game 1's. All the momentum that Portland had built up over the last couple weeks of the season is essentially gone at this point and they're really going to have to regroup fast to get back into this one. I still think Portland is a more talented team than Houston, so I think they'll pull off a couple wins, but if the Rockets continue to take care of business like they did in Game 1, then I don't think they'll have a whole lot of trouble moving on to the next round. Rockets in 6.


Los Angeles Lakers vs. Utah Jazz
Game 1 Score: Lakers 113, Jazz 100

This game started out just about how I thought it would with the Lakers seemingly cruising to an easy victory in Game 1, and likely continuing that momentum into a sweep of the struggling Jazz. While they never really challenged to win the game, I think that the fact that the Jazz showed some signs of life in chipping away at the Lakers' lead proved that they could still possibly steal a game. Lakers in 5.


Orlando Magic vs. Philadelphia 76ers
Game 1 Score: Sixers 100, Magic 98

When I first started thinking about this game I wanted to write about how the Sixers are a team that could give the Magic a run, and that maybe the Magic just won't be able to dominate after plugging Rafer Alston in for Jameer Nelson, but then a single picture changed my mind. ESPN.com had a picture of Andre Iguodala celebrating his game-winning shot with Reggie Evans and Donyell Marshall. While I respect both players and loved watching Reggie play when he was with the Nuggets, I just don't see the Sixers competing in a 7-game series when they're throwing the likes of Evans, Marshall, Ratliff and Dalembert at the most dominant center in the league. I could be wrong, but I think Superman bounces back. Magic in 6.


Atlanta Hawks vs. Miami Heat
Game 1 Score: Hawks 90, Heat 64

Wow. As far as I can remember, nobody has ever accused the Hawks of playing dominant defense. I know they're much improved this year and have had a great season, but I didn't see this kind of domination anywhere in their playoff futures. The media loves D-Wade and with the Hawks history, this was a series that seemed ripe for an upset, but I think those thoughts can be safely discarded into the nearest recycling bin now. Wade was killing himself all season long just to get Miami here and if he can't will them to any semblence of competetiveness in Game 1 of the playoffs, then I don't think the Heat have much hope here. Atlanta in 6.

Denver Nuggets vs. New Orleans Hornets

(to be continued)

1 comment:

  1. Keep up the good work.... You can tell this is your opinion and not you listening to the media and just agreeing with the "pros" .... Awesome job keep it up i enjoy reading

    ReplyDelete